Tuesday, June 20, 2006

UK borders unprotected

Lord Carlile of Berriew, the Government's anti-terror watchdog, was presented with a moral dilemma when he arrived at Heathrow from a trip to South Asia in March.

He wanted to pay duty on gifts for his family but there were no customs officers on duty in the red channel.

He told the Times:

"In the circumstances I decided I had given the authorities a chance, I was there to declare the goods and was on closed circuit television. I decided I was not going to be held up unnecessarily so I left."

I wonder what would have been the consequences for me, had I been in that position and did likewise?

Read the story by Richard Ford, Stewart Tendler and Fran Yeoman.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

BritBlog Needs You!